REGISTER NOW
FAQ
Go Back   myForum > Feedback

Old 06-12-2006   #1
T-Shirt
Lasyk Friend

How to upload protected theme?

Greetings everyone...

Does any of you could provide a way to upload protected theme at Lasyk.net network?

I have created a new theme and I am going to upload it. The problem is that the upload system here accept only .thm file and my protected theme has .dm file extension.

How can I upload such file here?

Thank you for any responses.

[]::[ T-Shirt @ W3A ]::[]
T-Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #2
devsmooth
Team Member
Lasyk Platinum Member

Welcome, T-Shirt!

In answer to your question; my guess is, you can't. At least not to the theme gallery. I think the theme previews are generated on-the-fly, and that this function is not set up to work with DRM protected themes. Whether it will be possible or not is up to the webmaster to decide, I guess.

So my advice for you would be to make your own thread here in the forums and attach the zip'ed DRM files to your posts. At least people visiting here will get to see your excellent work!
devsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #3
webmaster
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

@T-Shirt
Welcome to the forums

- The reasons why we don't support protected themes are two.
  • Non standard tar gnu files, may not work in all phones or new firmware.
  • DM files and other "protection" provide little to no true protection as the content is not encrypted.

If you really want to protect your themes do not upload them on a public site.

Attached you will find a snapshot of extracted images from a "protected" theme on mobile9

Download the theme from here

If you still want your theme(s) to be published in DM format feel free to send a e-mail at webmaster(at)team.lasyk.net

In any case I hope you enjoy your stay on the forums, we hope to learn from your experience in the theme field
Attached Images
File Type: png mobile9-protection.png (112.6 KB, 35 views)
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #4
Sedma
Gold Theme Creator
Lasyk Gold Member

I'm really curious how you get it . Anyway, if you have enough knowledge to extracts images from protected theme then you will do your own you won't steal from others. Most people even don't open themes, they just upload them to other (or on the same) site and take credits for it. On lasyk and zedge in use is some kind of preview generator (I suppose as dev) and when leechers try to upload such themes, they can't. Or if someone wants to pull out highlights, titles.. from one theme and put into another, he can't. I think that for now it's pretty good protection.

Btw, that's Pat's theme
Sedma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #5
T-Shirt
Lasyk Friend

@ all:

Thanks for your responses to my question. I really appreciate it since I guess that this is my first post to Lasyk forum. I have been spending most of my time at Lasyk network just to upload and share the themes I created.

BTW, I love uploading themes on Lasyk as well as uploading to other great sites such as Mobile9, etc.

I've heard that Mobile9 has a new protection method for SE themes to avoid themes from being leeched.

A friend of mine (probably several of you have already know him at eSeth) send me a protected theme from Mobile9 and he ask me to try to hack it. Well, I can hacked the protection... so, I think that there is not really secure way to protect our artwork. Of course I do not want to share that trick since I do respect all the themers' works.

The DRM method actually does not protect a file from being (easily) edited, it just avoid the file from being directly forwarded from the SE phones. But I think that it's quite good as an alternative to securing our artwork.

CMIIW.

Old 06-13-2006   #6
Bartias
Lasyk Friend

i dont think there's a 'unhackable' way of protecting themes while at the same time guarantee that it works on phones.

I think what mobile9.com did was just make it harder for the everyday leechers to upload themes made by others or modify it or claim it as their own. if webmasters like lasyk wants to break it, of course he can. but that only proves that he encourages leeching, which I'm sure is not the case. right?

and I presume having a some protection is better than 0 protection?

Last edited by Bartias; 06-13-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Bartias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #7
webmaster
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

@Bartias

We are forgeting something very important! The users who download our work, they expect that we provide them with quality downloads. Supporting a corrupt theme format is not something we encourage. How would you feel if you downloaded a theme on your K750i firmware revision R1BC and it does not open, but your friend who has a older revision can download the theme and use it?

Is this protection

Yes, you are ignoring the people who love your work.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #8
Bartias
Lasyk Friend

i agree! however, it was mentioned in mobile9.com forums that it has been tested extensively to work. i think it was in beta for 2 weeks (not sure). Also my k750i has no problems opening any of their protected themes. I read somewhere that they scaled down the protection to make it compatible with all the sony ericssons. i am not sure about that though might have to post in their forums.

Last edited by Bartias; 06-13-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2006   #9
devsmooth
Team Member
Lasyk Platinum Member

From what I've read so far I think I'll stick with the DRM Packager. At least it's SE's own software, so hopefully themes packed with this method works on all phones and firmwares.
devsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #10
KFou
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

The only method to truly protect your theme is through Digital Rights Management, which is supported by Sony Ericsson devices.

I noticed a theme made with a so called protection mechanism, which simply strips the images of the extension, flags them as folders and are saved accordingly to theme, this by no means should be considered protection, for your themes or files, since images can be again easily extracted from the theme.

For proper protection and guaranteed support on your phone use Sony Ericsson DRM software, which actually uses protection through encryption.
KFou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #11
Bartias
Lasyk Friend

I think DRM has already been hacked using 2 files.
Old 06-14-2006   #12
T-Shirt
Lasyk Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartias
I think DRM has already been hacked using 2 files.
@ Bartias:

Wow! I just heard about this info. Where did you know it from, my friend?

Old 06-14-2006   #13
Bartias
Lasyk Friend

Your .dm file?

Quote:
For proper protection and guaranteed support on your phone use Sony Ericsson DRM software, which actually uses protection through encryption.
Old 06-14-2006   #14
T-Shirt
Lasyk Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartias
Your .dm file?

Wow! Suprizing! I am curious how can it be opened... hhmmm

Old 06-14-2006   #15
Bartias
Lasyk Friend

It's on page 1 of google results. I dont know how hard that is to find.
Old 06-14-2006   #16
T-Shirt
Lasyk Friend

@ Bartias:

I am sorry but I don't understand about your last message.

Last edited by T-Shirt; 06-14-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2006   #17
Bartias
Lasyk Friend

You can search for the tool to hack the dm protection on google. that's how i did it.
Old 06-14-2006   #18
KFou
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

DRM is the only supported protection technique:
Forward-lock is one of three means for content protection through DRM and should be used only for themes sent to your phone, and not themes available for download, the way it is specified by the OMA DRM standard, a secure way of protecting content on the Internet in general, which are downloaded directly to your phone. An object inside a message is not encrypted. Anyone with a PC and knowledge of the message format (available on the Web for free) can open the message, retrieve the object, and use it without restrictions. When the message is inside the phone, this is difficult to do. When downloaded to a PC, this is easy to do.

The theme you show in the example uses a forward lock mechanism which used on a PC can easily be broken. If you want to be more secure in protecting your themes you should consider providing a combined or separate delivery of the rights and content.

Again as you stated Bartias everything that is encrypted may be 'unlocked', so the best technique and safest is what webmaster said, just don't make the content public.

Take care
Old 06-15-2006   #19
T-Shirt
Lasyk Friend

@ KFou, Bartias:

Thanks for your information. I'll try the combined / separate delivery later although I know that users of the theme will have to use GPRS to activate the theme (for separate delivery).

Old 06-15-2006   #20
KFou
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shirt
@ KFou, Bartias:

Thanks for your information. I'll try the combined / separate delivery later although I know that users of the theme will have to use GPRS to activate the theme (for separate delivery).

Actually the best action to do in order to protect your theme is to do what webmaster mentioned...

Take care